This paleo sports gel is based on an idea I got from one of Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution podcasts. My own recipe for the paleo sports gel is:
- green apples (450g)
- sweet potato (125g)
- raw sugar (2tbs) To make this a better paleo option you should use raw organic honey (I wasn't thinking at the time - doh!)
- Peel the apples and sweet potato
- Boil the apples and sweet potato in a pan with the water covering them (add some cinnamon if you want)
- Leave them boiling until they're nice and soft
- Separate the apples and sweet potato from the water and put the water to one side. you'll need that in a minute
- Put the apples and sweet potato into the blender and blend on high until nice and smooth
- This next step is not necessary but I wanted to increase the glucose content. So, take about 250ml of the water and add some honey. (I added raw sugar but will definitely use raw organic honey next time)
- Add the water into the mixture slowly and blend in. You want to have the mixture nice and runny so that it flows easily and is easy to eat/drink
- Leave the mixture to cool slightly and then add to small plastic bottles you can take on the trail.
There's a couple of things I would do differently next time.
- I'd add some natural Himalayan salt to the mixture to bring up the electrolyte profile; and
- I would use raw organic honey instead of raw sugar to make it a better paleo option.
I will defiantly use this in the future for any endurance events I do. It was delicious, easy to carry and easy to digest.
Give it a go yourself and let me know how you go.
Take care until next time.